I am seeing pumpkins for sale in the store so why not buy a couple and use them to teach?
Estimation– How much do you think your pumpkin weighs? How many seeds in one large handful would you estimate there to be? If you feel like counting all of them, 🙂 then how many do you think there are in the inside of the pumpkin? How close were you in estimating?
Science- Study the life cycle of a pumpkin. Seed->Seedling-> Plant-> Flowers->Pumpkin You can have your child draw a picture of each stage by looking at pictures of the internet or watching a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AB-dfi_0TsQ
There are lots of printables for sequencing the growth of the plant. I found this free printable that you can use for younger and older students. https://montessoritraining.blogspot.com/2013/10/free-printable-montessori-life-cycle-pumpkin.html
Health- Did you know that pumpkin seeds are healthy for you? Here is a recipe for you that your son/daughter can help you with:
- ¾ cup raw pumpkin seeds
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon paprika, optional
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F (177ºC).
- Wash pumpkin seeds in a colander to remove the pulp and fibers. Thoroughly dry with a towel.
- In a small bowl combine pumpkin seeds, olive oil, salt, garlic powder, paprika (if using), and black pepper.
- Lightly grease a sheet pan with olive oil. Evenly spread the seasoned pumpkin seeds on the sheet pan.
- Bake until the seeds are toasted and crunchy, about 12 to 15 minutes. Stir every 5 minutes for even toasting, and check for doneness with each stir by tasting a seed for crunchiness.
- Transfer the roasted pumpkin seeds to a bowl to cool down.
Have a great week! ~Lisa~