Looking for school ideas for your kindergartner? Here are six activities for your little one.
- Magnetic letters- You can purchase some magnetic letters and have your little one spell their name and simple words on the refrigerator or a metal cookie sheet with a lip to keep the letters from getting loose. Your child will gain confidence when they can spell words in the word families such as the -at family: mat, rat, bat, flat, etc. You can do this with a number of base letters such as -an (ran, can, tan, fan) or -en (ten, hen, den), and so on.
- Sorting- There are so many things your kindergartner can sort! Here are a few ideas to help: buttons- sort by size, color, shape; blocks- sort by color; coins- color, size
- Make an alphabet book– This would be an ongoing project that you can have your little scholar work on over a period of time. Pictures can be drawn, cut out of old magazines, or find pictures online and print them off.
- Make a family book- This can be your immediate family and also extended family. I don’t know about you, but several of our relatives live out of town. Ask your family to send pictures so you can create a family album. This is a great way for little ones to learn about families- aunts, uncles, cousins, grandparents, etc.
- Counting- Math can be incorporated into many aspects of daily life and one way this can be done is by counting. Items to be counted include: coins, crayons, pencils, books, but probably my favorite thing to count is M&M’s! Not only can these be counted, but they can be sorted and a graph could be created for the number of candies for each color.
- Make a card- Who doesn’t like getting a card, especially one in the mail? You could brighten someone’s day and also have your kindergartner work on letter writing at the same time.