Last week was a “relax and enjoy life” week. I have been running on fumes for the past 6 months and took the advice of several wise women who told me to take some time off after our son’s wedding. It was one of the best pieces of advice I have capitalized on and I would encourage you to also spend some time on taking care of you. I know you are a great mom and have all kinds of things planned for your family, but do you have anything planned for you? When is the last time you did something just for you? Just as I suspected, you can’t remember! 🙂
So, today I want you to come up with an action plan that you are going to enact either this week or next. What is something you like to do? How are you going to see that it happens? It doesn’t have to require money or a lot of time, but plan something. After all, if you don’t take out time for you and get refreshed there is nothing for you to give to your family.
Do you need some ideas? Here are a few things that come to mind. These activities can be as long or as short as you like, but if you are going for the short side of time, please give yourself at least an hour. I had 30 minutes down, but then I thought of how many hours are in the week and one hour is minuscule Please feel free to share your ideas as I am sure that your ideas will go waaay beyond my own!
- Spend some quiet time with God. Put on some peaceful music and pray. Praying is just talking to Him about what’s going on. This helps me tremendously. He already knows what’s happening, but when I talk to Him about it, I realize I am not alone.
- Attend a bible study group.
- Read a book.
- Read the comics.
- Work on a crossword puzzle or play soduku.
- Watch a chick flick or a funny movie.
- Grab a coffee, smoothie, soda, with your hubby. (No talking about the kids or school issues though!)
- Grab a coffee, smoothie, soda, with a friend. Not particularly all of those, but you can if you want! (Ask your hubby to keep the kids for 2 hours.)
- Go get an ice cream cone or low fat yogurt if you must!
- Sit in your garden.
- Take a walk or go for a run.
- Ride your bike or lace up your roller blades and get going.
- Eat cookies in the closet with the door closed. (Makes me feel daring.)
- Invite a friend over. If it is hectic during the day, do it after the kids are in bed. Don’t feel guilty for not including the kids. This is y-o-u time!
- Buy your favorite candy bar or try a new type of chocolate bar. Yum!
- Try a new recipe.
- Reorganize a closet. (NOT my idea of fun, but my sister loves doing this and it makes her happy when she is done.)
- Crochet or knit something.
- Scrapbook or make cards. Pick a small project if you don’t have the time. Otherwise you will just get upset and frustrated.
- Call a friend. When is the last time you called to just chat? Set your timer if your time is limited and promise to call again- soon!
Remember, recharge your batteries and take time out for you. You are an amazing woman!