Sometimes it is difficult to think of interesting ways to do book reports. Here are some ideas that I have done with my own children, with classes I have taught and ways to implement them.
- Create your own book cover design and/or jacket with a summary and review of the book inside. Use actual library books as examples for this as it might be difficult for children to grasp this without seeing several examples.
- Have famous people write a review of the book. For instance, if you were going to write a report on Cinderella you could have the wicked step mother say, “Don’t read this book! It is an inaccurate and unfair telling of the story from a spoiled girl’s viewpoint.” One of the mice that was changed into a horse to drive the coach might say, “This was the best day of my life! I was transformed into a magnificent beast and ran as fast as the wind!”
- Describe the book’s main characters- who you liked/disliked and tell why. How could their character be changed in order for you to like them if you disliked them?
- Design a wanted poster of the antagonist of the book. Add the following to the poster: Title, character, what is the crime or injustice, and plot.
- Dramatize your favorite part of the book. Write it as a play, record and send your masterpiece to someone to watch.
- Create a model or diorama of one of the important parts of the book. Invite a friend over to see it or take a picture and send it to a friend or relative.
- Illustrate or paint the story depicting important parts of the book.
- Rewrite the story’s ending.
- Draw a map with all the places in the book where the story took place. If there are too many places, choose a favorite scene from the book.
- Write a letter to one of the characters in the book asking pertinent questions in regards to the book.
- Make a food dish from that time period. What would some of the characters choose to eat and why? For instance, you could make hard tack for Jim Hawkins, the narrator of Treasure Island or you could make your own version of Stone Soup and have it for dinner.
Here are some resources for you that can be found on the internet.