Last week I discussed the option of the Written Narrative option. This week I wanted to give you some resources if you would like to do testing.
Here are things to consider:
- Which test do you want your child to take? The ITBS? CAT? Standford? Think long term and stay with the same test so that you can compare how your son/daughter measures up from the previous year.
- How well does your child test? If you have a student that is anxious and you do not think it would be a good indication of what they know, consider doing a portfolio review/ assessment instead.
- Does your child read well? Much of the test is read independently, even in the younger grades.
- Has your child taken a standardized test before? If not, practice filling in bubbles beforehand. This can confuse some students if they haven’t done this before.
- Qualifications– Some standardized tests have administrator requirements. Others do not so be sure to check on that detail.
- Time– Consider the amount of time it will take for the test. You do not do the test all in one sitting and it will take several days. Also, order tests early as some companies (BJU Press) only allow you to order until a certain date.
- Cost– If you are ordering a test that will need to be mailed, how much will it cost in order to do this? Doing an online test can be less expensive and the results will be given to you much quicker. Prices vary from $25.00- $45.00
Here are websites to order standardized tests.
Have a great week! ~Lisa~