What child [or parent] doesn’t love Winnie- the -Pooh? This lovable, adorable bear has been a wonderful companion of children since 1926.
In honor of the day that will celebrate the impact of literature, here are some facts about the characters and the author, A.A. Milne.
- Winnie-the-Pooh is so well loved and recognized that he even has a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame!
- Winnie-the-Pooh’s name came from a combination of a real bear and a pet swan.
- Pooh was purchased at Harrods department store in London and given by A.A. Milne to his son Christopher Robin on his first birthday, August 21, 1921. He was called Edward (proper form of Teddy) Bear at the time.
- The above picture is a set of a lot that was sold at Sotheby’s in 2008 for $1,262,863.00 British sterling pounds ($1,623,029.00 US dollars)
- The original toys are encased in bulletproof glass and live at the New York Public Library in the Children’s section of the building.
- The stuffed animals range in height from 25″ (Eeyore, the biggest) to 4 1/2″ (Piglet, the smallest).
I thought it would be fun for your child(ren) to have some quotes from Pooh and his friends for copywork. I hope you enjoy these and spend some time discussing them. There is a link below to click on for the document to download for your convenience. (The adorable bees border is from ClipArtMag.)