You are almost finished with school! Yippee! Now what do you need to do to continue homeschooling next year? Here in Ohio you will need to have your child’s academic progress assessed. This can be done through a portfolio review (also known as a written narrative) or taking a standardized test. Since I have a portfolio review business, I am going to concentrate on this.
There are many advantages to portfolio reviews. I have listed what I think are the most common reasons.
- If you have a child who is not yet reading or fluency and speed are being developed, a portfolio review is an excellent option to testing.
- Perhaps you have a “Wiggly One” who has not been used to sitting for a long period of time, written narratives are perfect for them!
- Many homeschool curricula doesn’t follow the typical public school academic courses and of study or Common Core so what your child has studied will not be tested that particular year.
- The time is much shorter than testing. 30 minutes is all the time we need, while testing takes between 3-9 hours, depending upon the test.
- You can use this form of assessment throughout all of your scholar’s academic career (senior high too).
- It is affordable. My fees are $40.00 for each student. I will give you the state required form needed to continue homeschooling and I also send you an electronic feedback form that is for your own personal reference.
- It is perfect for students who have special needs. I have tutored ASD students and I have also had several families come for reviews.
- If you are an unschooler or don’t use textbooks, portfolio reviews (written narratives) allow you to showcase your academic year.
- I only need to see and evaluate work samples, not your student, so there is no stress to your child being interviewed or quizzed.
- I successfully homeschooled and graduated my own children. 🙂
If you are new to the portfolio review process and would like detailed information concerning this option please read the post, Understanding Portfolio Reviews under my Portfolio Review Tab that I believe will be especially helpful.
Please email me at email@example.com to set up an appointment if you live in the Cincinnati area. I have some evening appointments if day appointments are not possible. I have a NEW Option for anyone who can’t come to my house or meet me at a nearby coffee shop because of distance or an extenuating circumstance. I am offering Skype appointments. If you are interested in this option please let me know when you email me.
I look forward to meeting with you,